While the land was donated in 1940, the construction of the current version of Wat Bang Thong temple began in 1997. Abbot Phra Ratcha Vajirakon found the temple in such a damaged state that he preferred to demolish it completely except the ubosot and rebuild a new complex. He also made Wat Bang Tong a place for Dharma-Pali study. It was in 2002, with the construction of the Phra Mahathat Chedi in honor of the 50th birthday of Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn (who became later King Rama X) that the temple really began to expand its reputation. Inspired by the Maha Chedi Phutthakhaya in India, golden and culminating at 95 meters in height, it is considered the highest pagoda in southern Thailand. Then, on November 16, 2006, His Majesty the King renamed Wat Bang Tong to Wat Mahathat Vachiiramongkhon and had the initials M.W.K. inscribed on the gable of the ubosot. While the main Buddha statue was named Phra Buddha Thaksin Chai Mongkhon.
Wat Bang Thong (Wat Maha That Wachiramongkol) is a temple and when you visit a temple in Thailand there are some rules to know and follow :