Wat Chiang Man is the oldest temple in Chiang Mai. It was built in 1297 on the site of Wiang Nopburi, a fortified town of Lawa people who had been used as a camp by King Mangrai during the construction of his new capital Chiang Mai. The oldest structure of the temple is a chedi called Chang Lom Chedi or Elephant Chedi. Its base is on a square base surrounded by 15 elephants and its top is covered with gold. The larger of the two viharns is a wide building. its Lanna style facade is decorated with woodcarvings and gold. It houses the oldest Buddha image in Chiang Mai, a standing Buddha holding an alms bowl. Tere are many others very old Buddha images in Wat Chiang Man. In addition to its numerous other Lanna style buildings, the temple also has a small scripture library or Ho Trai.