There is no mention of the construction or the founder of this temple but it was originally two separate temples: Wat Phra Bat and Wat Ming Muang which where joined in 1959 and elevated into Royal temple in 1955.
The main Buddha image of the temple, Phra Kosai which is reminiscent of the Chinnarat Buddha in Phitsanulok, is the most important in the province. The octagonal chedi is considered as the heart of the city of Phrae. A legend states that Buddha once came here and left a holly footprint on the grounds where the temple stands now.
The temple also contains a small museum which was not open when we visited it. Wat Phra Bat Ming Muang is usually the first stop of the old city tour that also goes to Wat Luang, Wat Pong Sunan and Wat Phra Non and Vongburi House.