Chanthaburi's Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception is the largest Catholic building in Thailand. With its two towers, it became the symbol of the city. It is the the fifth church built there. Inaugurated in 1909 with the installation of a huge bell in one of its towers, it was built during the nearly 10 years of French occupation of Chanthabun (now Chanthaburi). It has quite classic Gothic style. The cathedral stands on a small plaza where a statue of the Virgin Mary stands a few meters in front of the main entrance of the building.