Wat Phan Tao is one of the oldest temples in the old city of Chiang Mai. Its construction began in the late 14th century. Wat Phan Tao means temple of a Thousand Kilns. A name that is probably due the fact that the place was used to cast Buddha images for Wat Chedi Luang, which is right next door. His viharn is entirely built with teak panels. It is one of the finest buildings of this kind. Built in 1846, it was originally a Ho Kham, a throne room, for one of the kings of Chiang Mai. It was on stilts, but they were removed when the building was renovated and converted into a monastery in 1876. This is the most interesting element of Wat Phan Tao which also houses a chedi. The front of viharn is particularly beautiful. The gold band at the entrance is carved with Lanna floral motifs. Over the pelmet, you can see a golden peacock sculpture over a crouching dog. The dog is the astrological sign of the year of birth of the King of Chiang Mai who used the building as a palace.