Share this page:

Informations about non-tourist visa for Thailand

Home > Practical information Thailand > Non-tourist visas
visa thailand

What other visas that the tourist visa ?

If the majority of people who go to Thailand do it for vacation and simply need a tourist visa (see details on the tourist visa for Thailand here), there are other visas.

The student visa, the visa for retirees, the visa to work in Thailand.... Here are some information about each type of non-tourist visas for Thailand.

visa thailand

The student visa for Thailand

This visa is also called Educational visa (category Ed) and to get it you have to bring proof of your enrollment in a thai university. You will then get a 90 days visa for a start and have to renew it for one year. Students completing internships in Thailand and did not study need a letter from the employer stating the internship.

See what documents to provide to get your educational visa on this Royal Thai Embassy website.

Retirement visa for Thailand

You can request for a retirement visa (category O-A) from the age of 50. It is valid for one year and renewable. You must complete a number of conditions including the level of your financial resources to get it. These conditions vary quite regularly.

List of documents required to get a retirement visa :

    Passport with validity of not less than 18 months.

    3 copies of completed visa application forms

    3 passport-sized photos (4 x 6 cm) of the applicant taken within the past six months

    3 copies of personal data form or CV

    3 copies of bank statement showing a deposit of the amount equal to and not less than 800,000 Baht or an income certificate (an original copy) with a monthly income of not less than 65,000 Baht, or a deposit account plus a monthly income totalling not less than 800,000 Baht.

    3 copies of letter of verification issued from the country of his or her nationality or residence stating that the applicant has no criminal record

    3 copies of medical certificate issued from the country where the application is submitted, showing no prohibitive diseases

    visa fee

In the case where the accompanying spouse is not eligible to apply for the Category ‘O-A’ (Long Stay) visa, he or she will be considered for temporary stay under Category ‘O’ visa. A marriage certificate must be provided as evidence and should be notarised by notary organs or by the applicant’s diplomatic or consular mission.

See documents required on this Royal Thai Embassy website.

Business visa

Business visa (category B) allows a foreigner to obtain a visa to work in Thailand as an expatriate. A business letter is necessary. The visa is issued for 90 days and renewable (only if you got a work permit) . Note that there is also a special visa for the spouse and children of expatriates.

See documents required on this Royal Thai Embassy website.

IMPORTANT: Note that from 17th june 2019, visa request from some countries have to be submitted online on the website

Remote visa request

Some agencies can do the visa request process for you. You can easily find them on Google. Just check reviews first as some are not lefal or serious companies or even canbe scammers.

Tourist visa for Thailand

For information about the tourist visa for Thailand and cases of visa exemption, check out our tourist visa for Thailand page.
We give you this information for guidance, and do our best to keep them updated.

Find accommodation in Thailand
transports thailande
Transports in Thailand
Type your departure city, your destination and the date of your trip.
Powered by 12Go Asia system